Tuesday, October 28, 2008

This week's happenings

My baby boy is now three months old. Davis is such a sweet baby and so easygoing that the past three months have gone by very quickly. He is now cooing and giggling and giving us lots of smiles. He especially likes watching his older brothers and gets a big grin on his face whenever one of them stops to tickle his belly or say hello.

Carter is talking more than ever and my 'pantry kid', as I call him, can now frequently be found standing at the pantry door crying "chocolate bar." He really has a sweet tooth. In my defense, though, he is referring to a chocolate granola bar, not a Hershey's bar.

On our recent visit to the library Carter picked out a book on trucks. He loves cars and trucks--even more than the other boys. As he excitedly looked at the book at home, I heard a loud rip. When I began to tape the torn page I couldn't help but notice that almost every page in the book had been torn before. Apparently several other mothers had also been forced to remind their little boys, "Gentle, please." I couldn't help but wonder if the books on princesses and bunny rabbits (or whatever it is that girls check out from the library) have nearly so many tears...

The picture below is what I found when I went to wake Carter up from his nap yesterday. I opened the door to find the bed empty. I glanced around the room. No Carter. I looked in the closet. No Carter. I made sure that none of the lumps under the covers on the bed were a little boy. Still no Carter. I began to get a little worried. Then I thought, under the bed! There he was sound asleep. He must have gotten hot under there because as you can see, he tried to take his shirt off. Silly boy.

Bryce and I are beginning to do a little bit of preschool work at home. For the letter "C" we read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. Bryce had fun making a caterpillar out of an egg carton. We also found a video of The Very Hungry Caterpillar at the library. I was able to trick Bryce into getting a photo with his caterpillar. He is not a big fan of the camera.


On Sunday afternoon Grant and I had fun baking a spider cake together. An entomologist at heart, Grant has been a long-time fan of spiders. Using the idea from a Halloween cake I saw in the Ukrop's bakery, we made a chocolate cake with a spider on top of it. The spider was made out of an Oreo with M&M eyes and black licorice for legs. Grant requested a black widow, but I opted for a friendlier version of a spider.

1 comment:

  1. Gretchen, I love all the wonderful things you do with your very blessed children, our grandsons.....how very blessed we are also, with you and Brian as their parents! I haven't written here before b/c I didn't know how. Great writing, too, by the way......I sure enjoyed the video, the picts, (how fast they grow!), and seeing the great things y'all are enjoying together. Thanks for the blog....great thing to see over and over when I feel the desire.......love you all.....Grammy

    ReplyDelete