Sunday, January 31, 2010

Claire's Birth Story

With great anticipation the big day had finally arrived! I was very anxious to meet this little person that had been growing inside of me for the past nine months. Who was this child that would complete our family? With four boys already, I had learned to embrace the role of being a mom of all boys. "Five Guys and Me"--that was me. Would this new addition add to my outnumbered status in our house or change the dynamics of our family drastically? For the months that I could feel those little kicks (and even before then) I had felt a sense of peace, knowing that God had a purpose and a plan for this new life inside of me. I had truly enjoyed the suspense, but I was ready to meet my baby and find out whether this little one was a he or a she. January 7th was here, the date labor was scheduled to be induced. The house was cleaned, bags packed, car seats ready, childcare arranged, and we were off to the hospital bright and early. Friends and family were eager to get the call with the big news.
We arrived at the hospital just after seven and at around eight o'clock labor was induced. It was reassuring to see my O.B., Dr. Hyde, who had seen me through all five pregnancies. My nurse, Tricia, was wonderful. She was so kind and we exchanged little boy stories as she also had a three year old son. By about nine thirty I was beginning to feel contractions and by ten they were every three minutes and I was starting to get uncomfortable. Brian sweetly cared for me by bringing me ice chips, pillows, holding my hand, or whatever I needed. I had planned on going as long as possible without pain medication and at this point I was in a lot of pain, but not completely unbearable. My nurse did notify me, however, that there was a "point of no return" at about 7-8 cm, especially with fifth babies which tend to come fast. When I had come in to the hospital I was only 2 cm dilated but by ten thirty I was 5-6 cm. It was at this point that I decided to continue with labor without any pain medicine, i.e. no epidural. My contractions were very close together, just one to two minutes apart, so I was not getting a lot of relief in between. By eleven o'clock I was in extreme pain and at eleven thirty I remember thinking that not getting the epidural may have been the dumbest decision of my life. Brian massaged by back and the counter pressure did provide some relief. The nurse checked me at about a quarter to twelve and said that I was 8 cm. She paged my doctor with the update. It was about a minute later that I felt the baby drop and I yelled out, "It's coming! It's coming!" From that point on I was in so much pain that my memory is a little foggy. The nurse had my doctor paged again and she called for backup. She coached me through some breathing techniques to try and keep me from pushing, all to no avail. Brian was very brave and handled the situation quite well. I remember thinking through all the pain that I hoped he wouldn't pass out from seeing me that way. Two other nurses came into my room and helped set up for delivery. A few short minutes later Tricia said to me, "Well, all that got you a girl!" The doctor hadn't even made it up to my room yet! I was in shock from the pain and also the announcement that it was a girl. It was all like a dream. I really couldn't believe it. They laid her on my chest and I still couldn't believe that I had a daughter. She was perfect.
The nurses took her over to the warmer to clean her up. They asked what her name was. Brian looked at me and I said, "Claire." It was the name we'd hoped to use for so long and now she was here. About then Dr. Hyde walked in huffing and puffing from rushing up to the labor and delivery floor. He was obviously disappointed that he had missed the big debut, but congratulated us on our little girl. I was still in a significant amount of discomfort and asked for some pain medication. I was hurting so much and my arms were completely numb from gripping onto the bed rails for so long (I had been dealing with pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome) that I asked Brian to hold her first. It was a little while till I was feeling up to holding her, so her daddy was able to get in some good time with his daughter. Finally, Brian placed her in my arms and I couldn't help but get teary-eyed. I was so grateful to have her. She was a much prayed for child, and a true answer to prayer. I was overwhelmed. God is so good.
By this time Brian was getting eager to share the big news. It had been almost an hour since her birth. My mom had just arrived at the hospital and we thought it would be fun to share the news in person. Brian walked to the waiting room and announced, "It's a girl!" My mom jumped for joy, hugged Brian, and shouted out. Susannah was also very excited. Everyone in the waiting room heard about our baby girl. Susannah and my mom were both able to come back and meet her. Everyone was all smiles. We had so much fun making the calls to share the big news. We got lots of screams, tears, and heartfelt congratulations. Everyone was so surprised and so happy for us.
We spent two nights in the hospital where we were able to introduce Claire to many family members and friends who came to visit. It was a relaxing time for Brian and I as he stayed with me in the hospital. The boys introduction to their little sister had to be postponed till we went home as a result of the national no kids policy in an effort to reduce the spread of the flu. So, for us it was a refreshing time of resting, visiting, and getting to know our baby girl.
On Saturday, January 9th, we packed up all our things from the hospital and prepared to go home. I had come with two outfits, one blue and one pink, as going home outfits for the baby. I still couldn't believe it when I got out the pink one to put on my baby. I put her in her pink outfit, with her new pink booties, and her pink coat before putting her in her car seat. She was ready to go home. This was definitely a whole new world!
When we arrived home there were pink balloons on the mailbox and my mom had gone in and "pink-i-fied" the house with more balloons, streamers, ribbons and some of my old baby things. It took me by surprise and made the event even more special. It really was a dream come true. That evening we had both sets of grandparents and the aunts over along with the big brothers for a pizza party. Two of the four brothers were happy to be introduced to their new sister, and two were not so sure about the change. Brian had put together a little video of photos taken from the hospital put to the George Strait song "I saw God today" and we all watched that together. It was a special evening of rejoicing in everything that God had done in our family.
We thank the Lord for our four wonderful sons and our blessing number five, Claire Elise. The miracle of new life is such a testimony to the work of God. God has done great things for me and I give him all the praise for my five precious children.

"...to Him who is able to do more than all we ask or imagine." Ephesians 3:20

2 comments:

  1. I still get misty-eyed when I read your story. I can't say enough how truly happy I am for you, Brian and the boys. I am looking forward to watching your children grow into four strong, confident men and one dynamic, courageous woman. Much love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a gift of putting life's amazing experiences into flavorful words. It was fun to read your account and I love the new blog title. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete