Saturday, June 5, 2010

Regarding Bryce

Brian and I were talking the other day about how we want our children to know that they are valued as individuals. In a larger-than-average-size family the "group mentality" is a challenge to overcome. As a family we are a team, so to speak, but with individual players who are gifted with unique personalities, strengths and abilities. We want our children to know that they don't just make up a part of our family, but are an integral piece of our family. Our family would not be the same without them. We love them as individuals and God has a plan and purpose for each of their lives.
So, today I write about our second-born, Bryce.
Bryce's name means 'active and alert' and we have found it to be a very fitting name. He is full of energy, inquisitive, and always up to something. Among our brood he is the first to attempt a daring stunt, try a new food, talk to a stranger, figure something out, or do something that I never would have thought I needed a rule against doing. He adds a lot of character to our family.
This year Bryce and I have enjoyed doing preschool (we call it "Happy School") at home. I have treasured our one on one time in the afternoons while the younger ones are sleeping. Bryce has been a joy to teach. He very much enjoys learning. In April we finished Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons. This is not the most entertaining curriculum, but being goal oriented, Bryce had been counting down to lesson 100 since around lesson 12 so he was thrilled to finish the book. Bryce reads amazingly well for a five year old, is a whiz at math, and enjoys art as well. He is looking forward to kindergarten next year!




Bryce has displayed a gentle side lately with his younger siblings. He is very sweet to his youngest brother, Davis, and makes sure he is well taken care of. Bryce also has been especially affectionate to his little sister as of late and likes to tickle her cheek and reminds me that "she has my eyes" as he's heard us say.



Bryce's hugs are typically scarce. Like many boys, he is not the affectionate type. He will surprise me with a peck on the arm when he is sitting beside me, he'll occasionally blow me a kiss and flash me a smile, or give me a random quick hug when I'm not expecting it, but most of the time Bryce doesn't even give me a kiss at bedtime. I have learned to accept this. This is just Bryce. Bryce does show affection in other ways and if I wait on him to give it willingly it is so much more meaningful than a forced hug.

He was asking me to get out the blocks recently. After requesting the blocks several times, I finally pulled out the box from the storage room for him. A few minutes later he told me he had a surprise for me in my room. On my nightstand I found this:


He had used the blocks to prop up the "I love you mom" sign he had made. And that is worth a thousand hugs.

So, I am grateful for Bryce and for each of my children and the ways they as individuals make our family into who we are.

1 comment:

  1. Gretchen, What a sweet entry---it brought tears to my eyes. Love all the special ways Bryce adds to the family. Love you all......Grammy

    ReplyDelete