Wednesday, July 27, 2011

On Having a Daughter

Eighteen months ago we welcomed Claire Elise into our family. And my world was forever changed.

Having a daughter is still sinking in. Every day I am reminded of what a blessing it is to have to have this precious girl in our family. I say a prayer of thanks when I pick baby dolls up off the floor or put a bow back in her hair for the umpteenth time. I treasure all things girl. I have savored every moment of shopping in the girl section at stores, learning to make hair bows and do girl hair, pulling tights over chubby legs, dresses and monogrammed diaper covers, dolls, and all things pink.

All of these things were so very much desired and I am overwhelmed and overjoyed that dreams have become a reality. And yet, somehow, it is a little sad as well. Even though I longed for the experience of having a daughter, I had learned to embrace the oh-so-adventurous path of being a mom of all boys. Five Guys and Me--that was me. There is a certain camaraderie among those who share in this calling and it is such a privilege to be included in the exclusive Mom of All Boys club.

And yet I am glad and very much willing to travel this new road that the Lord has me on. Through the somewhat unique format of our family, the Lord drew me closer to Himself. We all have things in our lives that turn out differently than we expect them to. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes just different. But, God showed me how he gives "good gifts" to us and that it is when I am willing to let go of my tightly clenched fists on what I want that I am able to receive those good things that He wants to give me.

Thank you Lord for all good things and for the hard things through which you allow us to know you better. Thank you for all five of my precious children and for this newest joy of having a daughter.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17



No comments:

Post a Comment