Friday, December 9, 2011

A Matter of Perspective

Sometimes kids see things differently than us grown-ups do. A few times recently I've been reminded of this.

Bryce found a penny the other day and with great excitement told me how old it was. "It was made in nineteen ninety-nine!" he said with eyes so big they were about to pop out of his head.

I found myself correcting my older son recently for copying his little sister's bad table manners. She's just a baby, I told him, don't do what she does. It was then, to my surprise, that she spoke up and said clearly, "I na baby!"

We are now purchasing tomato soup in those large, family-sized cans. The boys can't get their fill of it ever since I started calling it "hot lava soup" after Grant read a book about Pompeii.

Out with Grammy and Pappy last week, three-year-old Davis, used the word yellow to describe something. Although it came out more like "yeh-yo." Trying to help his little grandson speak more clearly, Pappy instructed him, "Say it like me: Yel-low." Putting his chin to his chest, Davis then said in the deepest, most Pappy-like voice he could muster, "yeh-yo."

No comments:

Post a Comment