Monday, June 10, 2013

Celebrating 13 years...

June 10, 2000


To My Sweet Husband,

It’s hard to believe that it’s been thirteen years since we said our “I do’s.”  Thirteen years ago thirteen years seemed like a very long time.  Back then I certainly could not picture what life would be like this far into the future.  And indeed, much has changed in thirteen years. 
In thirteen years we have grown up and grown together.  We’ve started first jobs, moved into two houses, accumulated furniture and cars (one being a 12 passenger van—who would have thought?), visited new places, made decisions together, cried, laughed and prayed together, and had six kids together.  Yes, it’s been a wonderful, full thirteen years.  And I love this life that we’ve created; that God created for us. 
When we first married I remember hearing couples that had been married for many years talk of how their love had grown over time.  I thought then, however, that surely I could never love you more than I did on our wedding day.  I was so in love with you then, how could I ever love you more? 
As we’ve experienced life together and tackled the challenges of creating a family, not only have we grown closer in our relationship, but I’ve watched a strong, hard-working, loving, and godly man emerge from the young man I married thirteen years ago.  Thirteen years ago I didn’t know the commitment of a husband who pulled out of the driveway before dawn each morning to work a long day to support his family, never once complaining of this responsibility.  Thirteen years ago I didn’t know the refreshment of having a husband I could count on to be home for a family dinner every evening.  I didn’t know the love of a husband who would hold me and hug me when my heart ached, not needing me to justify my emotions.  I didn’t know the devotion of a husband who would pamper me through pregnancy—six times.  Thirteen years ago I didn’t know what a good father you would be, purposefully leading and guiding each of our children.  Thirteen years ago I didn’t know what a joy it would be to see my husband playing football in the backyard with our boys or the sound of our daughter’s laugh when she gets tickled by her daddy.   I didn’t know the man who would stop and pray before moving on to action.  Thirteen years ago I didn’t know the man who would offer to get up with a crying baby in the middle of the night.  I didn’t know that  you would show love when it wasn’t deserved, patience after a long day, generosity when it cost you something, and that you would still go the extra mile even after thirteen years. 
While I loved you so very much thirteen years ago, I love you even more now.   I am so blessed to call you my husband and I can’t wait fall further in love with you still.
                                                                                    Yours Forever,
                                                                                    Gretchen

1 comment:

  1. Happy late Anniversary. You have a beautiful family!

    -Carrie (Sheley) from good old Manchester High School

    ReplyDelete