Saturday, January 31, 2009

My baby boy

My baby boy is six months old now which means that he has officially entered my favorite baby stage (6-9 months). While I love babies at all ages and stages, I've narrowed down these three months as my "favorites." At this age babies are very interactive, smiling, laughing, starting to babble, small but not extremely delicate, chubby and cuddly, but (perhaps most importantly) not yet mobile. So, in my opinion, it makes for a very fun three months.

Davis has always been characterized as a happy baby. When I tell people this I follow it up with, "I mean he's an especially happy baby." I realize that my opinion may be affected by the fact that he is my fourth baby and perhaps I am more laid back than I was with my first or even second child. But, really, he is such a happy baby. This past week I took him in to the doctor after several nights of waking up during the night (he has slept through the night since he was six weeks old--8-10 hours without waking--see what I mean!). Low and behold he had two ear infections, poor little guy. The doctor must have commented at least three times during the appointment how surprised she was at his content and happy demeanor with his ears looking the way they did. Yes, I am am very grateful for such a happy baby boy (and experienced enough to appreciate it).


This past Sunday Brian and I participated in a baby dedication service at our church. During the service parents stand at the front of the church with their child and promise to God and before the church to raise their child in His nurture and admonition, acknowledging that children are a blessing from the Lord. As parents, we commit to do all that we can to teach, train and encourage Davis in the Lord but know that it is ultimately his decision as to whether he will accept Christ's forgiveness and make Him Lord of his life. It was a special day of reflecting on the huge blessing and responsibility of parenthood. Our pastor read the meaning of Davis' name, "Beloved Son," and the scripture that we chose for him. Psalms 86:11&12 "Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart, I will glorify your name forever."




2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing all these thoughts, Gretchen....what a lovely family you have. Loved the verse y'all chose for Davis' dedication, too. He is sure a cutie......love you all so.....Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO, SO, So cute! I just want to blow into his cheeks and neck and see that smile first-hand!What a beautiful family!
    Love to all!
    Aunt Trisha

    ReplyDelete